Benefits of Baby Wearing
1. Bonding- closeness to parents is the best tool for emotional and mental development. Infants need intimate and constant contact with another human being for optimal development. Babies crave warmth and closeness from their caregivers and feel secure when they are held. Baby wearing is also an awesome tool for other family members to develop a close bond with baby- letting Dad wear baby around the house is a great way for him to form close attachments to baby.
2. Convenience- you can have the best of both worlds in this case! Research has shown that keeping babies in close contact with parents or caregivers has a myriad of benefits that support optimal development. But carrying your baby around all the time isn’t practical- unless you have the right tools! Using a carrier, sling or wrap to keep your baby close allows you to have two hands free to move around and get stuff done! Babies that are worn in slings or carriers cry less and tend to be more content which means you can move throughout your day with ease while still providing the best for your baby.
3. Calmer baby- when you wear your baby it mimics the feeling of being in the womb. The familiar rhythm of movement, being close to your heartbeat and being confined in a small space calms baby. Additionally its easier to meet your baby’s needs, many anthropologists and psychologists who study have observed that when mothers and babies are together, they are constantly shaping one another’s behavior- for example, when her baby whimpers or seems to be in distress, the mother responds and reassures her little one. Mama and baby are better able to read each others’ cues.
4. Good for baby’s development- a sling or carrier is a transitional womb for the new baby, who has not yet learned to control his bodily functions and movements. Your baby is in tune with your heartbeat, breathing and physical movements which stimulates his learning to regulate his own physical responses.
5. Babies enjoy motion- your baby spent 9 months in the warm, secure confines of your womb. He was comforted by the muffled sounds of your heartbeat and digestive system. Your baby was in constant motion, travelling with you every twist and turn you made- walking, bending, reaching. He became accustomed to the feeling of being in a confined space. After birth, sometimes referred to the 4th trimester, babies crave the experience of being held close to a parent’s body because it reminds them of being in the womb.
6. Confidence- a baby in a sling or carrier is usually more content which in turn makes the parents feel competent. If the baby gets fussy, parents can swiftly respond and meet baby’s need before a melt down occurs.
7. Smarter baby- babies learn by interacting with their environments. A baby that is carried in a sling has the best seat in the house and is intimately involved in the parent’s world. Your baby is free to observe the world from a safe and comfortable vantage point and can learn from your interactions with people around. Baby wearing also enhances speech development because baby is up conversational height and can watch your facial expressions.
8. Promotes breastfeeding- Mamas can easily and discreetly breastfeed baby while you on the go, plus close contact with baby increases milk production!