Are you a morning person? I like to think that I am… but bouncing out of bed like its Christmas morning isn’t something that comes easy for me. I really like to hit the snooze button and stay in bed until the last possible second. The truth is, sometimes I don’t want to get out of bed to face the day usually because I haven’t taken the time to visualize my day.
It takes some conscious thought and planning to have an awesome morning. Lately I’ve been reflecting on my morning ritual and it looks like this: wake up and hit snooze 5 times, roll out of bed and zombie walk to the kitchen to pour a cup of coffee, plop down on the couch to watch the news while Everly plays with toys. I don’t smile, I don’t look outside, I don’t have an intention for the day. Does this serve me? It’s not a bad morning but it’s not an AWESOME morning. I read a poem in my sister-in-law’s rustic cabin at the base of the Teton Mountains in Wyoming that inspired me to change my morning ritual…
“The breezes at dawn have secrets to tell you
Don’t go back to sleep!
You must ask for what you really want.
Don’t go back to sleep!
People are going back and forth
across the door-sill where the two worlds touch,
The door is round and open
Don’t go back to sleep!”― Rumi
Each day is a gift and a chance to feel magic. I refuse to waste another morning not feeling extreme gratitude. I don’t want to go back to sleep! There is too much amazing magic waiting for me. I am choosing to incorporate some new elements to my morning ritual. As soon as I am aware that I am awake I say this affirmation: “I am happy. There is abundance all around me and I am lucky to be alive and well today. Today is going to be magic” then I get out of bed, look outside and smile. I drink a big glass of water then I have my coffee. I do not turn on the news; instead I sit on the floor with Evie and try to be present watching her play. Even if I can do this for 5 min then turn on the news, it is a better start to the day. Gratitude determines your attitude.
The best way to make sure you have an awesome morning, and therefore an awesome day, is to prepare! Here are some ideas to make your morning awesome.
Energize your Morning … Create a Morning Ritual
- Take a minute to set an intention, be mindful, be grateful for all you have
- Create a short affirmation to say first thing in the morning- affirmations are powerful reminders to our subconscious and stick with us throughout the day
- Drink a HUGE glass of lemon water (warm or at room temperature) – drinking lemon water ignites our metabolism and stimulates our digestive track to absorb nutrients all day long
- Do a quick stretch to wake up your body and get your blood flowing- visualize each and every cell in your body starting to move around with ease
- Open your door or a window and say good morning to nature- be thankful that the world exists and that you have the opportunity to be alive!
Remember to be mindful and set intentions and DECIDE you will have a wonderful day!